This is our most expanded mix for PARADISE ULTD. to date clocking in over two and a half hours.
It’s a mix that covers a wide array of genres, including deep house, nu disco, boogie funk, dub reggae, and hey, even some emo pop.
I would say it’s a mix in three movements. I won’t tell you where the breakpoints are but you can certainly drop in and drop out of sections and get your mix fix. Then come back to a different point in the mix and get into a totally different mood.
We had so many tracks we had left out by the end of the year because of the volume of new music released in 2016. So in Volume 10, we tried to crunch in jams we had planned for previous editions while also getting all the new music in.
Of course, Wolf+Lamb, Soul Clap Records, Bastard Jazz, and Razor-N-Tape are always the at the top of the list of record labels we look to first for new music. Their latest 2017 releases make up a good chunk of this mix.
FSQ had a cut with Midnight Riot Records in 2016 called “Shaking My Damn Head” so we’ve been looking a lot closer at the label and supporting them. We’ve got two cuts from Midnight Riot’s latest compilations “Roller Boogie Volume 2” and “Riot in Lagos” in Volume 10. While there are no new FSQ original tracks for this mix, do listen up for a jam called “Night Terrors” by FSQ member G Koop.
Tensnake’s label True Romance gets a good turn in Volume 10, with his own funky fresh “Freundchen” and a new disco edit called “Make Time” by Phil Gerus.
Disco funk monsters Pete Herbert and Aimes have multiple new jams in our mix, coming from their work for multiple labels.
Beyond looking at record labels for new music, we decided to check in with some of our favourite acts of the 70s, 80s, and 90s. We were surprised to find that some of our favourite artists – Yello, Sly & Robbie and Thievery Corporation – have new music out, and you’ll find them sounding as fresh as ever here in the mix.
There are lots of surprises and musical twists in turns in Volume 10, so again we think you will want to spend a lot of time with it. Over 40 artists are represented …
1. Yello – Pacific AM (Polydor / Island Records)
2. J&M Brothers – Give it All – Original Mix (Midnight Riot Records)
3. Oliver – Electrify – Luke Million Remix (Interscope Records / Pulse Recordings)
4. Franc Moody – Yuri (Juicebox Recordings)
5. Phil Gerus – Make Time (True Romance Records)
6. Wolf + Lamb – We Had It All (Wolf + Lamb Records)
7. Wolf + Lamb – Never Forget (Wolf + Lamb Records)
8. Lauer – Tersh (Live at Robert Johnson)
9. Yello – Starlight Scene (Polydor / Island Records)
10. Vanilla Ace & Dharkfunkh – That’s the Joint (Nervous Records)
11. Jax Jones with Mike Dunn + MNEK – House Work – Carnival VIP Mix (Polydor)
12. Moony Me – Closer To The Edge – Lay-Far Remix (In The Box Records)
13. Jex Opolis – Look At My Car – Extended Mix (Good Timin’)
14. Sunni Colon – Feel 4 U (Sunni Colon)
15. Buscabulla – Tarato (Baby Making Records)
16. Rayko – Dance On The Groove – Pete Herbert Remix (Spa In Disco)
17. Michael The Lion featuring Amy Douglas – Get It On (Soul Clap Records)
18. Aimes Featuring Javi – Take Me – Pete Herbert Remix (Pole Position Recordings)
19. Royksopp featuring Susanne Sundfør – Never Ever The RYXP Dub Excursion (Universal Music)
20. Thievery Corporation – Let The Chalice Blaze (ESL Music)
21. Sly & Robbie + Brinsley Forde – One Fine Dub (Tabou1 Records)
22. Midnight Magic – Down Delay (Soul Clap Records)
23. Aimes – Coasting in Costa Rica (Real Balearic)
24. B.G. Baarregaard – Kick The Burger (Whiskey Pickle)
25. Dead Horse Beats – She Said (Bastard Jazz Records)
26. Laurence Guy – Love and Be Loved (Quartet Series)
27. Davis featuring Cameo Culture – Blind (Innervisions)
28. Gigamesh – Slow Love – Alan Braxe Remix (HyperReal)
29. Jimi Tenor – Cap De Creus (Herakles Records)
30. Yehan Jehan – Swallow The Horizon (Couch Records)
31. Basstronaut – Hawk (Tin Angel Records)
32. GKoop & OMan – Night Terrors – Instrumental Mix (Soulspazm)
33. Electric Wire Hustle – I Light A Candle (Bastard Jazz Records)
34. Barclay Crenshaw – The Gene Sequence (Stx and Brx)
35. Childish Gambino – Terrified (Glassnote Entertainment Group)
37. Tensnake – Freundchen (True Romance Records)
38. Eli Escobar featuring Nomi Ruiz – Can’t Stop Dancing (Classic Music Company)
39. COEO – Pajama Stomp (Razor N Tape Records)
40. Henri Le Blanc – Jungle Juice (Midnight Riot Records)
41. Boorane with Lay-Far – Find a Way (In-Beat-Ween Music)
42. Dave Cirino – Cranes In the Sky (Purple Fox Digital)
43. MndSgn – Searching II – 4 Sumthn New (Stones Throw Records)
44. B. Bravo – I’m For Real (Bastard Jazz Records)
45. Dead Horse Beats – Young Ruins (Bastard Jazz Records)